5 favorite things

Tuesday, July 08, 2008
My five favorite things in the garden right now are:

#5 - The Foxglove plants delivered from my Mom and Dad, straight from their garden to mine. I planted them in my new shade garden under the Bradford pear tree out back.


#4 - Two Redbud tree seedlings from my aunt. I need to find a place of honor for them.


#3 - Gobs of tomatoes hanging heavy on the vine. (Hurry up and ripen already; I have a basil that's eager to mingle with you!) These are an heirloom variety I'm trying out this year, Black Krim.


#2 - Well, not exactly "in" the garden anymore, but these are the mustard seeds we harvested from the Red Giant mustard greens grown in our garden earlier this spring. And yes, in case you're wondering, we are planning to grind them into, well, mustard. Mustard powder, that is, which is a key ingredient in the spice rub Hubby makes for his rotisserie chicken done up on the grill.

AND...

#1 - Peppers! Peppers! We've got peppers!

The last one is another new-to-me heirloom that I'm testing this year: fish peppers, which are called such because they were typically used in fish cookery in the Chesapeake region years ago - or so I've read. Check out the very interesting variegated foliage. With white and green leaves, and even a spot of purple in parts, they're beautiful plants in and of themselves. And we haven't even tasted the peppers yet. Wheee!

11 Comments:

Blogger Jane O' said...

Your peppers look very healthy. Like you, I am anxiously waiting for those tomatoes. We have a long wait. I just got blooms!!

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How big are the fish pepper plants? I'm intrigued, but I garden in a very small space.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Fern,

The fish pepper plants are about two feet tall, one foot wide. They would probably grow well in a deep container.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

You just answered a question I've had for a long time but always forget to research: so, mustard powder does come from mustard greens/seed. aha! That's definitely on my roster for next year, then.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find the plants/seeds for your fish peppers? I would be interested in growing some next year.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Robin Ripley said...

You're having a very good year for veggies! Our tomatoes don't look nearly so advanced, although experience has taught me that in the blink of an eye I'll be up to my ears in them.

This year we are trying several new heirlooms. Can't wait for the Cherokee Purples!

Robin Wedewer
Gardening Examiner

4:57 PM  
Blogger Muum said...

So, is the mustard seed better tasting if you grow it yourself ? I am totally jealous. My tomatoes are weenies compared to yours!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Christa said...

Eva,

I found the seeds for fish peppers at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.
www.rareseeds.com

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty!! The foxglove looks sooo soft!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm envious that you have mature peppers!

I've had tomatoes for awhile, but only a few peppers so far. But I'm looking forward to all of my fall vegetables, too, if I can coax things to germinate in our dreadfully hot and dry summer so far.

Love your blog!

Lisa

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Tina said...

I love fish peppers! good article

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home