Give and take in the garden

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Black-Eyed Susans received from Debbie, 4/22/08.

A fish tank. A smashed hula hoop. And one ovulation prediction kit. What do all these items have in common? They're all among the recent offerings on my local Freecycle list. (And I suppose I could get creative here and write a fictitious story about how a fish tank, a smashed hula hoop, and an ovulation prediction kit relate in some way to gardening, but I will leave that to your imagination.)

If you have something you want to get rid of, chances are someone on your local Freecycle list will take it. Conversely, if you're looking for a specific item, you might consider posting a "Wanted" notice to the list. I wanted Black-Eyed Susan plants for my new front yard garden. Within a short time after posting my plant request, I had a response from a fellow Freecycler named Debbie, who offered to give me a few from her garden. Free plants, just for asking.

While it's nice to receive, it also feels great to be in a position to give. We had two crape myrtles in the backyard that didn't fit into our long-term plans for the garden. I like crape myrtles, I do, but they grow enormous around here, and we decided to get rid of them while they were still small and (somewhat) easy to dig out.

On the DC Urban Gardeners List, Gwen from Annapolis, Maryland, was looking for shrubs and perennials for her new garden. I was happy to find a taker for my crape myrtles, and it turns out they were among the plants on Gwen's wish list.

One of two crape myrtles moved out to Gwen's place in Annapolis.
Phase One of Blueberry Lane begins, 6/8/08.


This weekend, Gwen and her friend Maria came by and helped us dig them out, and now I have room to start the next phase of the garden. I want to put in fruit bushes - blueberries and currants, specifically - and I plan to start working on the soil for them soon.

10 Comments:

Blogger elkit said...

Somebody on my local freecycle list was just giving away redwood seedlings. I wish I had room for a redwood tree. :-(

8:09 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Very cool finds on FreeCycle. My local board wouldn't let me post about looking to pick extra fruit from people's productive fruit trees (it was a WANTED ad), so it sounds like you have a better moderator than I!

Good job giving away the crepe myrtle.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Oh darn. I just signed up on Freecycle and immediately found a free orange kitten. SIGH. :)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Gardenista said...

I'm impressed to hear that crape myrtles do well there. I'd never actually thought about them in Canada somehow, thinking of them as some sort of tropical. I don't know why, I just know they don't grow in my zone. It must be nice to have plant exchanges like that. I keep offering to give vermicomposting worms away for free to people in town but still no takers. It must be the work involved with raising another living thing..

10:53 PM  
Blogger Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

I never thought about looking into freecycle for plants.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! There are over 200 people in my small area on that list.

7:02 AM  
Blogger The Diva said...

Cool idea and clever opening to your post.~~Dee

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny post.
I am going to sign up and join Freecycle immediately just so that I can enjoy the random nature of the offerings.
I have a 1922 pair of silk stockings, a bag of lego and to bored children to offer....

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love freecycle too. Not so many plants on there though here in Manchester England. Maybe I should start the trend...

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love freecycle. Since I just moved I gave away a number of things I was no longer using that way. It's nice when you are too exhausted from packing to schlep more stuff over to the local thrift store.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Home